I'm on a Bus

One of the things I find really challenging in life is filling out that line that says "Occupation" on forms.  I have literally no idea what to put there.  Too many options.  So many ambiguities.

I founded a marketing nonprofit called Civic Support, I have taught college courses in a variety of topics, I have worked as an instructional technologist for several different organizations, and I have done the writer thing as well.  At any given time, I may have 5-6 significantly different jobs I'm working on.  So what exactly does one write down on that line?  The one I make the most money at?  The one I've been at the longest?  The one I most enjoy?

I have heard it said that Millennials don't like the question "what do you do?", they prefer to be asked "who are you?".  That is like, the douchiest sounding thing, and it's why everyone hates us.  But to be honest, I also sort of get it.  I don't like to think my work defines my life, because too often that work is just a pay check, not something I'm passionate about.

This is why a month ago I quit my full-time job to try to focus on work that I am passionate about.  This, in many ways, is what led me to the bus.  No, the bus is not a metaphor for being on a journey in life, unsure what route to choose or stop to get off at.  Well, it's that too, but more importantly, it's an actual bus.  An AirBnB bus to be precise.  Here is proof.


I am on the bus, because having quit my job I have been back at writing gigs with a fervor, along with trying to finish my novel (yeah, I'm of those fucking people).  Being a writer means a lot less money than my last few gigs, but it also means flexibility of time.  So when your friend who is also a writer randomly says "want to stay on a buss for free on Cape Cod in exchange for some work?", you're like... yeah.

So anyways, that's why I'm on a bus.  And I have to say I have been getting a whole lot of writing done.  I'll have to see where this bus leads me.

Comments

Popular Posts