Being Retrospective or Whatever


I always have a problem with the New Year. I suppose many people feel some sort of existential dread as one year ends and another begins. A sense of failure at things not accomplished, or perhaps fear over what the next year may bring. Last year I endeavored to write a short blog about the positive aspects of a year gone by, and to be honest there was something fairly therapeutic in the process. So here I go again...

My "Top Five" for 2019...

1. "Live with no excuses and travel with no regrets" (Oscar Wilde)
I travelled quote a bit this year. To be specific:
  • Vermont (3 times)
  • Japan (Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka)
  • New Zealand (Auckland, Lake Taupo, Napier, Rotorua, Hamilton)
  • San Antonio
  • NYC
  • New Orleans
Being able to do much of my work remotely has opened up many opportunities to travel to new places and still make money, which was something I spent a lot of time day dreaming about during my desk job days.

2. Freedom in Freelancing
When I left my 9-5 job in 2018 I had the pressing challenge of building a client list big enough to pay the bills. I started small, taking on just about any marketing, writing, or research client I could connect with at cut rates. Slowly I built my portfolio and increased my rates, simultaneously focusing on the skills that are both most enjoyable and most profitable.

This year I have gotten to work with some awesome instructional design clients, including Bentley University and UniFirst. I have also accomplished a major goal, which was to get back into teaching college courses (I hadn't taught a course since 2015).

3. Gridiron Victories
I would be remiss not include two significant football events in my reminiscing. First is that the Patriots won the Super Bowl (again) and second is that the Renegades won the National Championship (again). Although I did not play for the Renegades this year, I made it to every home game and watched away games online. It was bittersweet at times (I missed practices, learning the game, and the camaraderie of the team), but even from the stands it's a lot of fun watching the Renegades play.

I also played by third season in the Boston Women's Flag Football League, and while we did not make playoffs I had some awesome teammates and felt myself improving at the linebacker position (including my first interception) and as a punter.

4. Remember Reading?
I got back into reading in a big way this year... in fact I can't say exactly how many books I read but I do know it was over 30. There was a span of time when I didn't do much reading anymore, and it's been great to reconnect with the pure joy of a good book after a long day.

5. All Things Outdoors
While the nature of my work keeps me in front of a computer far too much, I did manage to spend a good amount of time outdoors this year. I went backpacking a few times, made it to the beach nearly a dozen times in the summer, and learned a whole lot about farming thanks to my time working at Sharing the Harvest Farm. We built a raised garden bed and I got back into gardening in a big way, and with some decent success (with many jars of relish and kimchi as proof).

Comments

Popular Posts